Monday, February 18, 2008

NOW WE UNDERSTAND

Two weeks ago, when we made pancakes, a comment from Mrs Knee and the Kinderkids had us talking.

Here's part of it-

'In a few more weeks we will be making maple syrup at my house. The weather has to change a bit before we can tap the trees. We need freezing nights and warm days.'

We discussed what 'tap the trees' meant. This was something that none of us had experienced. Johanna suggested that they pushed a 'tap' into the tree to let the syrup out.

Yesterday Mrs M found this slideshow on the Kinderkids blog. We were 'spot on' with our thinking!



Now we know how 'real' maple syrup is collected . We never imagined we'd learn 'that' this year. That's what's so cool about having blogging buddies around the world - we learn such interesting things! - but we're wondering...

What does 'sugar on snow' taste like?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

grace said maple syrup came from a tree. That is a great slide show Mrs M.

Anonymous said...

that was very good.courtney

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting. What kind of trees do they "tap" into?

Jo and Sam T's mum said...

Johanna's dad asked the question at dinner, does anyone know what is on the Canadian flag?

prep red said...

Hi 2M Gems
Mrs M has told me that you have been talking about Canada and maple syrup. I hope you are enjoying looking at my photos of Canada. It has brought back many great memories for me when I taught in Canada. I have been to a sugar shack and seen maple syrup made. Maple syrup on snow is very yummy, it tastes and looks like toffee. I will bring in the special tap they put into the tree to show you. I would love to answer any questions you have about Canada.
Mrs R

Ackygirl said...

hi gems... I just heard all about your pancakes and all the questions about maple syrup from Mrs Knee. I'm at a conference in the USA - in San Antonio, Texas. We talked about snow with sugar and made some voice threads for you.

Mrs Knee will be giving me some maple syrup to bring back for you and Mrs M :-)

It's exciting that we could learn about what your class is doing. Your blog is inspiring many other teachers here to think about how learning and teaching (where everyone is a learner AND a teacher) online with anyone in the world. I'm so lucky to know such a wonderful class of kids like y'all (that's how they talk here in Texas).

Mrs R