Thursday, March 27, 2008

IT'S A 'ZERO' DAY







It was another 'ZERO the HERO' day today - DAY 40!
'ZERO' had lots of equipment for us to bundle, link, stack and arrange into groups of 10.







It didn't matter which equipment we used, we all used the same process.
We counted in ones or twos to make groups of 10. We had 4 groups.
Then we counted each group...10, 20 ,30, 40...
4 groups of 10 is 40!

Next we rotated through activities where we worked with '40'.

One of the activities was the 'Make and Take' game. For the first part of the game we rolled a dice and added paddlepop sticks to the ONES house on our chart. When we could make a ten, we bundled them up and put them in the TENS house. The first one to 40 was the winner.

For the second part, when we rolled the dice, we had to 'unbundle' the groups of TEN. The first one back to ZERO was the winner.

Other activities had us being CREATIVE with 40.

We could use the coloured matchsticks to make a picture, or the wooden shapes to create a design or construct something out of Lego.... but we could only use 40 pieces!

Here are some pictures of some of our creations.


BubbleShare: Share photos - Powered by BubbleShare

We LOVE 'ZERO THE HERO' DAYS.

9 comments:

Riley's Folio said...

Hello Mrs M, I really liked doing the zero the hero activity because lego is my most favoutite thing that I every play with.

Anonymous said...

4 groups 5 make 20 from.grace.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs M
I like zero the hero activities today and next zero the hero day I would like to do some more. I especially liked the Take game.
from Tamekah

Mrs M said...

I'm glad you emjoyed playing the 'Take' game, Tamekah. It's a game you can play any day, not just on 'Zero the Hero' days. I've already included it in tomorrow's numeracy block. You'll be able to teach Mrs DeL how to play it.

Mrs M said...

Well done Grace! You know 4 groups of 5 makes 20. Can you use this knowledge to work out how many groups of 5 make 40?

Anonymous said...

it is always fun

Anonymous said...

hi mrs m i loved the take game you have to have 4 bundles of 10 but it was to easy love claire.*

Anonymous said...

Hello 2m,

There were some really great models built. I can't believe you could make those using only 40 pieces.
From Ben D's mum.

Melissa said...

COOL stuf!