Tuesday, March 11, 2008

OUR FAVOURITE HERO RETURNS!

Who had 30 reasons to visit us today?

ZERO - our favourite counting hero!

He brought us a special gift of coloured matchsticks to help us to practise bundling groups of 10.
















For our DAY 30 investigation, ZERO had packets of jellybeans for us and two questions:

  1. How many ways, besides in ones, can you count to 30?
  2. Is your packet of jellybeans the same as mine?
First we used the 'base 10 boards' to count out 30 jellybeans.


We found we could count in TENS - 10, 20, 30 and FIVES - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and TWOS - 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.
Along the way, we made this discovery:



The second part of our investigation is still continuing, as we had to ask MORE questions.

The packages look the SAME and the weight on the pckage says 375 grams BUT...

Does each packet have the same colours in it?

Is there the same number of each colour in each packet?

Are all the jellybeans the same size?

Does each packet have the same total number of jellybeans?

We PREDICTED that each packet would NOT be exactly the same.

To test our theory, used the 'base 10 boards' to sort and count out each colour.

Each group now knows what colours are in their packet and how many of each colour there is.Tomorrow we will graph our results and compare. Will our PREDICTION be correct?


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't wait to see your graph. I had never thought of so many questions when I eat jellybeans. I think there will be more red jellybeans than any other colour. Red ones are my favourite, I wish they made bags with just red jellybeans. Do you know that they make bags with only black jellybeans in them? Do you have any black jellybeans in your bags?

2M Gems said...

You'll have to wait for our final results, Mrs M, but you would be happy if you had any of our packets and people who love black jellybeans would be very happy too!

Anonymous said...

Hi 2M, It was actually Mrs D and I got to see your results this afternoon. What a big investigation. Great work everyone.

Anonymous said...

i cant wait until we all get to eat them i wonder which packet does not have more yellows, more pinks, more blacks, more blues and moree greens.

Anonymous said...

30 days wow! that's alot of days I can"t wart when it's the 100 day what were going to have on the 100 day

Anonymous said...

I am going to visit my grand parents in rockhampton for easter grace 2m

Anonymous said...

I ate all the six jellybeans and I liked the blue ones best. I like doing the zero the hero activity because i like colouring the boxes in
from Tamekah

Anonymous said...

Jelly bean counting was so much fun. I will be looking forward to counting again soon.I love it when 0 the hero comes to visit.

Brisbane, Australia said...

Hi 2M
Thank you for all your comments this week.
We love getting comments from you and hearing bout what you are doing in 2M.
We will enjoy looking at your superheroes and will let you look at our work when it's finished. 3C have really become 'Quality Producers' in our task of creating comic books - so it is taking us a little longer than what we planned, but the finished pieces of work will be AMAZING!
We look forward to seeing your graphs.
Mrs C and the 3C's by the Sea :-)
PS Mrs C says save a jelly bean for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi 2m and Mrs M I love jellybeans there ar the best. I remeber haw meny there wher in owe pacit there owe 189 I think that wos how meny there wer I don't no if that is rit from Emily.

Olivia J said...

Hi it is olivia when is it the day to do some more zero the hero counting. Will we be able to eat them if you forget it I will have to figure it out myself.

Mrs M said...

Check the classroom door tomorrow, Olivia, to see bow many more days until Zero the Hero comes again. Remember we have to wait a little longer for 10 school days to pass this time because we have the Easter break.

Olivia J said...

Cool I will check the classroom door tomorrow.